Star batsman Sachin Tendulkar, who had been suffering from a tennis elbow, has undergone surgery on his left elbow in London.
"The surgery was successfully conducted yesterday at London," BCCI secretary S K Nair said in New Delhi on Wednesday.
Nair said he is unable to say at this stage how long Tendulkar would be out of action and could only give details on it after seeing the report filed by team physio John Gloster, who is accompanying the batsman.
"Before the operation it was thought that he would be out for atleast 15 weeks but the clear picture would emerge only after receiving the report from Gloster," he said, adding the report is expected today.
Tendulkar had consulted a doctor in London a couple of days ago, Nair said, adding the doctor as well as Gloster were of the view that a surgery was essential.
"Both of them said it was in good interest of the player to undergo surgery," Nair said.
The 32-year-old has been troubled by the injury for over a year now and has already missed three major one-day tournaments last year.