NEWSLINKS US EDITION COLUMNISTS DIARY SPECIALS INTERVIEWS CAPITAL BUZZ REDIFF POLL THE STATES ELECTIONS ARCHIVES SEARCH REDIFF
The Border Security Force has launched an internal inquiry to 'study' the recent incidents on the Indo-Bangladesh border in which 16 BSF troops were killed by the Bangladesh Rifles, sources in New Delhi said on Monday.
The inquiry, to be headed by an inspector general of police, will review the operation at both Pyrdiwah and Boraibari, where the incidents occurred, on the India-Bangladesh border, 'to see what happened and how it happened', the sources said. The result of the probe will be sent to all BSF sectors for study, they added.
Meanwhile, the post-mortem reports of the 16 slain BSF personnel are expected to be submitted shortly. Several bodies were found in a mutilated condition. BSF sources said preliminary reports indicated that nine troops had been killed in cold blood.
According to the sources, the Bangladesh Rifles first claimed it was in the possession of only five BSF bodies. But when told the Bangladesh Rifles had earlier stated it had killed 16 BSF troops, Bangladeshi officials agreed to return the BSF bodies on April 19. The BSF has dismissed the post-mortem reports submitted by the Bangladesh authorities, saying it just mentioned that the BSF troops were killed in firing.
PTI
ALSO READ: Questioning of jawans injured in BDR attack begins
The Bangladeshi Intrusion: The Complete Coverage
Back to top
Tell us what you think of this report