Pakistan on Monday briefed India on its probe into the Mumbai terror attacks, including the follow-up steps it plans to take in the coming days, even as New Delhi said it will wait for the "positive outcomes" of the measures by Islamabad.
During a meeting in Islamabad, Interior Ministry chief Rehman Malik told Indian High Commissioner Satyabrata Pal about the inquiry being conducted by a three-member team into the information provided by New Delhi on the Mumbai attacks and other aspects of Pakistan's probe, official sources said. Pal, who sought the meeting with Malik, told PTI that the interior ministry chief had briefed him on the steps "already taken by the government by Pakistan as well as the steps it plans to take".
He said he appreciated the "clarity and candour" of Malik's briefing. Pal also said he had told Malik that India will "wait to see and hope for what are positive outcomes of the steps" being taken by Pakistan. Though the high commissioner did not give details, other sources said Malik clearly outlined follow-up steps the Pakistan government intended to take in the coming days to deal with persons found to be linked to the Mumbai attacks.
Malik, a close aide of President Asif Ali Zardari, formed a three-member team of counter-terrorism experts last week to examine the information provided by India on the Mumbai attacks and to investigate other aspects of the terrorist incident. He directed the team on Saturday to submit its preliminary findings within 10 days.
Malik also said there were "leads and good clues" in the information provided by India and the Pakistani investigators will work to convert these into evidence that can stand up in a court of law. Pakistan has said that it has detained 124 members of banned militant groups following the Mumbai attacks and also shut down five training camps and dozens of offices of the Jamaat-ud-Dawa after it was declared a front for the outlawed Lashker-e-Tayiba by the UN Security Council.