Pakistan on Monday briefed foreign envoys on its response to the Mumbai terror attacks and its own probe into the information provided by India, as part of an effort to counter the diplomatic initiative launched by New Delhi.
Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi and interior ministry chief Rehman Malik briefed the ambassadors and high commissioners of most foreign countries at the foreign office in Islamabad.
Qureshi reportedly said that Pakistan was conducting its own probe into the information provided by India. He also said that India had not yet responded to Pakistan's offers to conduct a joint investigation and to send a high-level delegation to the neighbouring country to discuss the modalities for such a probe.
This was the first major briefing for diplomats after the Mumbai attacks. The Pakistan government has faced criticism at home and abroad for its response.
Media reports said the Indian high commissioner was not invited for the meeting as he had been already briefed by Foreign Secretary Salman Bashir. Some officials also pointed out that the Pakistan high commissioner was not invited to similar briefings in India.
The reports also suggested that the government might share with the envoys new information that has not been publicised so far for security reasons.