Rediff News
All News
News APP

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp  » News » Relatives' woes pile up

Relatives' woes pile up

Source: PTI
October 31, 2005 21:20 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

Chaos and confusion continued to prevail in Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital on Monday as some of the bodies could not be identified and relatives of victims had to run from pillar to post to get last remains of their loved ones.

Coming from far off places, the family members, already in shock and trauma, had to face lot of hardships.

"I am here since Sunday evening to take the body of my brother. Police officials had told me that the body would be handed over on Monday. But now they are saying that the identification marks are not clear," said Sanjaya Prasad, hailing from Nawada district of Bihar.

His younger brother Surendra Prasad (22), working in a shop in Sarojini Nagar market, was killed in the bomb blast.

"Doctors say since the identification marks are not clear, the body will be sent for DNA testing and after that it will be handed over," said a senior police official, adding that the samples had been collected on Monday.

The decision to conduct DNA test has added to woes of Sanjaya.

"What answer shall I give to my family members, who are waiting to pay last respects to the body," he asked.

Abdul Mazid, the owner of the shop where Surendra was working, said there was no dispute over the body as nobody had so far claimed it.

Similar is the feeling of Apurva Sharma, who had come to get the body of his nephew. The body, he had identified, has been claimed by members of another family as well. And as this was not enough, a police official said DNA test would be conducted on the body.

Chaotic scenes were witnessed in hospitals with relatives frantically enquiring about bodies after they failed to trace their beloved ones.

"For the last two days, I have been searching for my brother Ram who was working in a shop in Sarojini Nagar. But I am yet to trace him. I have come here to see the bodies," said Kishori Lal from Uttar Pradesh with tears rolling down his cheeks.

There are still seven unidentified bodies lying in the hospital, a police official said, adding that altogether 34 bodies had been identified and handed over to relatives of the victims.

The body of a three-year-old boy and an eight-year-old girl are still under dispute, the official said.

Complete Coverage: Terror strike Delhi

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
Source: PTI© Copyright 2022 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.