After intensively interrogating a man, who had allegedly confessed his involvement in the serial blasts in the national capital, Delhi Police on Friday said he was not connected with the explosions and sent him back to Jammu and Kashmir where he had been arrested on a murder charge.
Ghulam Mohi-ud-din Lone (22), who was apprehended by the Rashtriya Rifles on Sunday in Banihal region of J&K, was brought to New Delhi on Wednesday and questioned for two days by the police and intelligence agencies during which several inconsistencies emerged in his statement.
After taking him to Paharganj, where he had allegedly helped in planting a bomb and some places in Rajasthan and Punjab, his version could not be substantiated and investigators concluded he was not involved in the blasts.
- Complete Coverage: Terror strikes Delhi
"He does not appear to be involved in the Delhi blasts," Joint Commissioner of Police (Special Cell) Karnal Singh told reporters in New Delhi.
Lone, who was in the custody of Jammu and Kashmir Police, had already been sent back to the state, he said.
Asked whether Lone had deliberately misled the investigations, Singh said, "This does not seem to be the case."
"We have already questioned several people who may have been involved in the blasts. It is part of the investigative process," he said.
J&K police had on Thursday said that Lone appeared to be only a thief and was unlikely to be involved in the October 29 explosions, which killed 62 people and injured more than 200.