Rediff News
All News
News APP

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp
Rediff.com  » News » 15,000 may have died in Andamans alone

15,000 may have died in Andamans alone

Source: PTI
December 30, 2004 14:58 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

Panic gripped Andaman and Nicobar Islands as inhabitants rushed to safer places after authorities sounded an alert of high waves lashing the shore four days after the tsunami struck south Asia.

Lt Governor Ram Kapse said according to the alert high waves may hit the islands around noon and people in low-lying areas were advised to move to safer places.

Also Read


Frontline IAF base wrecked

Nicobar still inaccessible

Velankanni: Death in the churchyard

How you can help the victims


There was total panic and confusion as people were seen running in desperation to safer places.

Meanwhile, large-scale relief and rescue operations continued in full swing by civil and military personnel.

Navy ships and AN-32 aircraft were evacuating people from the devastated Nicobar and Hudway islands.

Around 1,100 people have so far been brought to port Blair from Hudway island and the process is continuing, a senior official involved in the operation said.

Unconfirmed reports from various affected islands said that as many as 15,000 people may have been killed with Car Nicobar accounting for majority of them.

Confusion, however, still prevailed about the number of casualties as the local administration confirmed that only 309 bodies had been recovered so far.

Lt Governor Ram Kapse, however, admitted that as many as 10,000 people, almost half the population of the Car Nicobar island, were still missing.

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
Source: PTI© Copyright 2021 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.