Rediff News
All News
News APP

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp
Rediff.com  » News » 900 IAF men, kin evacuated from Car Nicobar

900 IAF men, kin evacuated from Car Nicobar

By Onkar Singh in New Delhi
Last updated on: December 29, 2004 18:46 IST
Get Rediff News in your Inbox:

The Indian Air Force has evacuated 900 personnel and their family members who surrvived the killer tsunamis that struck Car Nicobar island on December 26.

They have been brought to Tambaram Air Force base in Tamil Nadu.

Also Read


Toll rises to 60,000

No UN team sent to India

A day in the life of a relief coordinator

RGF to adopt tsunami orphans

IAF personnel dead in Car Nicobar


However, they have been barred from speaking to the media and have also been told not to give details of their experience.

Squadron leader Mahesh Upsani told rediff.com in New Delhi on Tuesday that 25 officers, airmen and members of their families had been killed in the tragedy.

"We can now confirm that we lost 25, including officers, airmen and members of their families in the tragedy. Over 75 personnel and their families are still missing. The rest have been evacuated to Tambaram in Tamil Nadu. Necessary relief and rehabilitation work is now in progress. You must understand that they have undergone a horrifying experience and they are still in the process of coming to terms with it. It will not be possible to allow the media access to the survivors at this juncture. We will do so at an appropriate time," he said.

A helicopter unit of the IAF was based in Car Nicobar when the tsunamis hit the island last Sunday.

Get Rediff News in your Inbox:
Onkar Singh in New Delhi