Accusing India of aggravating the situation by asking Islamabad to withdraw its high commissioner in New Delhi, Pakistan said it believed India would not launch a full-scale war against it, but could attack Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
"I think India will not launch a full-scale war," the Pakistani defence spokesman, Major General Rashid Qureshi, told editors and senior journalists in Lahore on Saturday. "But there is a danger of an Indian attack" on PoK and the "working boundary", he said.
Gen Qureshi, who is also the press secretary of President Pervez Musharraf, said he was not ruling out the possibility of a full-scale war, but added that Islamabad was ready for any eventuality.
He said the Indian Army had resumed artillery fire, which had been stopped for the last one year.
"India must remember that Pakistan is not Palestine, which can be easily attacked," he remarked, adding that attempts at "hot pursuit" across the Line of Control could also lead to a war.
But he said the difficult terrain in the region would make it difficult for India to make a thrust into PoK where aircraft and tanks cannot be easily used.
Qureshi described India's allegations of Pakistan's involvement in the Jammu attack as "propaganda". "Why Pakistan should commit an action, which would cause harm to it and benefit India?" he asked, adding that India had provided no proof of Pakistan's involvement.
Recovery of mere chocolate wrappings bearing 'Made in Pakistan' markings could not be valid proof, he said. "How could terrorists carry with them their identity symbols?" he asked.
Terror Strikes in Jammu: The complete coverage
Tell us what you think of this report