Fresh Pak probe into 'fixing' claims
A government inquiry has been launched into allegations of match-fixing during two of Pakistan's games at the 1999 World Cup, a Pakistan Cricket Board official said on Thursday.
Pakistan's military-led government appointed Justice Karamat Nazir Bhandari from the Lahore high court to conduct the inquiry after the PCB requested a probe into the country's World Cup defeats by Bangladesh and India, said PCB media manager Khalid Butt.
Neither defeat affected the team's qualification for the semi-finals, and Pakistan went on to lose a one-sided final to Australia.
Suspicions of foul play in the matches were first voiced by South African cricket supremo Ali Bacher last year.
Pakistan has already held a judicial probe into match-fixing, headed by Justice Malik Muhammad Qayyum, which lasted 17 months.
It recommended a life ban for former captain Salim Malik and fines for Wasim Akram, Saeed Anwar and Inzamam-ul-Haq.
Mail Cricket Editor