Former Central Bureau of Investigation director Joginder Singh, who sourced important documents relating to the Bofors arms deal, on Wednesday said he is not surprised by the Union government's decision to write to the Swiss and British governments that they had no evidence against Ottavio Quattrocchi and that he may be allowed access to his frozen bank accounts.
Television channel CNN-IBN on Wednesday night reported that it has documents to prove that a top legal official of the government had conveyed this message India recently to the concerned governments and banks.
"We had submitted the papers before the Delhi high court and had categorically stated that Quattrocchi had received $7.34 million as commission in the deal.
"As far as I am concerned, I did what was expected of me. I have since retired and cannot take everything to my heart. Besides, one of the key accused, former defence secretary S K Bhatnagar, is already dead. Win Chaddha, another accused, is also dead.
"Former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi's name was never sent for prosecution as he died before the charge-sheet was filed.
"The Hindujas had been let off by the Delhi high court and no appeal has been filed in the Supreme Court against that decision," Joginder Singh told rediff.com on phone.
Another former senior official of the CBI said that he too was not surprised by the move of the government because Quattrocchi is a close relative of Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
" If you check your facts, you will find out that while the CBI wanted to appeal against the Delhi high court order, the government never gave the go ahead.
"The law ministry is advising the government on this crucial case. It will give the opposition another issue to corner the government," he said.