HOME
NEWS
BUSINESS
MOVIES
SPORTS
CRICKET
GET AHEAD
SHOPPING
rediff NewsApp
Rediff News
All News

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp
Rediff.com  » News » UK blasts: Menezes shooting report by year-end

UK blasts: Menezes shooting report by year-end

ShareComment
Text size:  A   A   A
August 23, 2005 20:01 IST

An independent police complaints panel in Britain will deliver a report by the end of the year into the fatal shooting of a 27-year-old Brazilian electrician who was wrongly suspected of being a suicide bomber, an inquest was told on Tuesday.

But the report by the Independent Police Complaints Commission will not be published until any legal and disciplinary proceedings in the case of Jean Charles De Menezes' killing, after the July 21 failed London attacks, are completed.

At a hearing, the inquest into Menezes' death was adjourned until February 23.

Also read: The London Blasts

Menezes was shot at a Stockwell Tube station, south London, last month amid the alert following the bomb attacks. "No-one would expect an investigation such as this to be hurried. It must be wide-ranging and conducted with very considerable care," Richard Latham QC, representing the IPCC, told the hearing.

"The IPCC recognises that nothing should be disclosed or published which could prejudice this inquest or any potential criminal or disciplinary proceedings."

Latham said 'there is an intention to report before Christmas (December 25).' Coroner John Sampson also requested a progress report on the IPCC inquiry from senior investigator John Cummins.

Cummins said a 'comprehensive handover package' had been received from the Metropolitan Police on July 27.

 

H S Rao in London
© Copyright 2013 PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent.
ShareComment