The markets ended in the positive terrain on the back of heavy buying seen in scrips from metal, IT, oil & gas and capital goods sector. However, selling was witnessed by auto, banking and pharma stocks.
The Sensex made a brief attempt at the 14,000 levels but slipped immediately. The Sensex closed at 13,937.65 up 63.32 points or 0.5%. The Nifty was up 14.75 points or 0.37% at 4015.75. The BSE Small Cap Index closed at 6,799.99 up 23 points or 0.34%.
The BSE Midcap Index ended at 5,829.47 up 10.5 points or 0.2%.
The BSE Bankex was down 0.9% at 7,187.59. Karnataka Bank, HDFC Bank, PNB, Centurion BoP, ICICI Bank, Bank of Baroda moved downwards.
The BSE IT Index gained 1% at 5,187.88. I-Flex Solution, HCL Tech, Hexaware Tech, Infosys and Satyam advanced.
The BSE Metal Index was up 2% to close at 9,148.25. Tata Steel, Mah Seamless, Sesa Goa, SAIL, JSW Steel ended higher.
The BSE Capital Goods Index was up 0.8% at 9,380.12. Lakshmi Machine, Ingersoll Rand, Greaves Cotton, L&T, Carborundum closed higher.
The BSE Health Care Index closed was down 0.04% at 3,786.81. Divis Labs, Ipca Labs, Nicholas Pirama, Aventis Pharma, Sun Pharma closed lower
The BSE FMCG Index gained 0.3% at 2,066.29. Nestle, Britannia, Colgate, ITC closed in green.
The BSE Auto Index closed at 5,498.28 down 0.3%. Punj Tractors,Apollo Tyres, Cummins, Hind Motors, Escorts moved lower.
The BSE Oil and Gas Index gained 1% to close at 6,189.62. MRPL, IOC, Reliance ended in green.
The NSE cash turnover was at Rs 8783.45 crore and the NSE F&O turnover was at Rs 25815.55 crore. The BSE cash turnover was Rs 4752.1 crore. Total market wide turnover was at Rs 39351.1 crore.
- Sensex hits 14,000 for the 1st time during the day
- Sensex off day's high; up 63.32 points at 13937.65
- Nifty up 14.75 points at 4015.75
- BSE Metal Index gains 2%; Tata Steel up 5.3%, SAIL up 2%
- BSE Oil & Gas Index up 1%; RIL up 1.6%, IOC up 1.34%
- BSE IT Index up 1%; Infosys up 1.5%, I-Flex up 4%
- Airline stocks in focus; Jet Airways up 4.17%, Deccan Aviation up 5.64%, Spicejet up 2.85%
- CNX Midcap Index ends almost flat; sugar stocks continue to gain
- Bajaj Hind up 4.43%, Balrampur Chini up 2.8%
- BSE Small-Cap Index ends almost flat; selective gains in real estate stocks
- NSE Advance Decline ratio at 4:5
- Total market turnover at Rs 39351.1 cr Vs Rs 38000.52 cr on Tuesday
Chat with market expert Pranav Sanghavi every Tuesday
For more information about trading and markets log on to www.moneycontrol.com