Rediff News
All News

NewsApp (Free)

Read news as it happens
Download NewsApp  » Sports » NZ-Australia Test ends in draw

NZ-Australia Test ends in draw

xTo get such articles in your inbox
Last updated on: March 22, 2005 12:58 IST

Australia retained the Trans-Tasman trophy when the second Test against New Zealand ended in a draw at the Basin Reserve on Tuesday.

Play was abandoned shortly before the scheduled tea break on the fifth and final day because of persistent rain and thick fog that had plagued the match from the outset.

The foul weather almost certainly saved New Zealand from another heavy defeat following their nine-wicket reverse in the series opener in Christchurch.

Stephen Fleming's side had been forced to follow-on and were reeling at 48 for three, needing another 278 runs to avoid an innings defeat, when the storms rolled in and caused the players to scurry from the field.

"It got us out of jail so we're not disappointed with the weather," Fleming told reporters.

"But we've clearly got a lot of work to do. We're being put under a lot of pressure and we're not responding."

Also Read

Day 4: Rain interrupts Australia victory charge

Day 3: Kiwis in deep trouble

Day 2: Martyn century puts Australia in control

Day 1: First day's play abandoned

New Zealand were bowled out for 244 in their first innings on the fourth day, 326 behind Australia's massive 570 for eight declared that featured centuries from Damien Martyn and Adam Gilchrist, who was named man of the match for the second Test in a row.

Rain prevented the Kiwis starting their second innings on Monday afternoon and further showers on Tuesday morning delayed the start of play by 90 minutes.


The previous days had also been affected by rain, with the entire first day washed out.

"It's been a pretty disappointing week all round," said Australia captain Ricky Ponting. "We did everything we could but the weather just hasn't been kind to us."

After play finally began on Tuesday, Australia threatened to run through New Zealand's batting before the rain returned once again.

Glenn McGrath captured two wickets in three balls in the third over and then fellow paceman Michael Kasprowicz claimed his 100th Test wicket.

McGrath trapped Fleming leg before wicket for one before dismissing Hamish Marshall in identical fashion for a duck in the same over.

New Zealand limped to lunch on 37 for two and lost Lou Vincent in the first over after the resumption when he was bowled by Kasprowicz for 24.

As Australia moved in for the kill, the heavens opened and play was eventually called off, leaving opener Craig Cumming 10 not out and Nathan Astle unbeaten on four.

The third and final Test in the series at Auckland's Eden Park starts on Saturday.

SMS: CRIC to 7333 for latest Cricket news, SPRT for latest Sports news


Australia first innings 570-8 declared (D.Martyn 165, A.Gilchrist 162)

New Zealand first innings 244 (L.Vincent 63)

New Zealand second innings (overnight 0-0)
C.Cumming not out 10
S.Fleming lbw b McGrath 1
H.Marshall lbw b McGrath 0
L.Vincent b Kasprowicz 24
N.Astle not out 4
Extras (b-3 lb-5 nb-1) 9
Total (for three wickets, 17.2 overs) 48

Fall of wickets: 1-3, 2-3, 3-37

Did not bat: C.McMillan, B.McCullum, D.Vettori, J.Franklin, I.O'Brien, C.Martin

Bowling: McGrath 6-3-10-2, Gillespie 5-2-5-0, Warne 3.2-0-14-0, Kasprowicz 3-0-11-1 (nb-1)

Result: Match drawn

Australia lead series 1-0

Third Test: Auckland, March 26-30

© Copyright 2013 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.